What is this post going to tell you that others don’t? How to buy UT2004 online, download it and set it up on Ubuntu (without having to worry about a CD, because it’s 2014 and not 2004).
- Install wine:
sudo apt-get install wine
- Get wintricks:
- Make it executable:
chmod u+x ./winetricks
- Install steam:
- You’ll see something like this downloaded:
- Run setup with wine:
- If you didn’t change the path to install, launch steam with wine:
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/Steam.exe -no-dwrite
(That -no-dwrite is important because the text disappears without that on Steam. We don’t want to use this for gaming any way, so this is fine).
- Create account or log in to your existing account on Steam.
- Search for Unreal Tournament 2004.
- You’ll get an option to buy UT for about $8 (real cheap right now) – buy it.
- Download the game and install it (took me about 30 minutes).
- Now copy (or move) this game from ~/.steam/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/ into another location.
- Download the mega pack and linux patch bundle from http://www.utzone.de/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=19 (titled UT2004 Mega Pack Linux + LinuxPatch)
(If this link is dead, search the Internets).
- Overwrite the mega pack and patch files into this other location where you moved your game to.
- Install this:
sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
cp /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.4 /Wherever/Your/Unreal/Dir/System/libSDL-1.2.so.0
- Finally, get the CD key by running:
- Search for UT2004 (and you should find a key with the CD key in it)
- Copy this CD key into a file named cdkey that is placed in /Wherever/Your/Unreal/Dir/System/
- Launch /Wherever/Your/Unreal/Dir/System/ut2004-bin-linux-amd64
(Some of these steps will change if you are running this on a 32bit system.)
I did not come up with all these steps, so I’m linking all the resources below in case you need additional help/instructions:
- https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux (for steps 1 through 6)
- https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=146223 (for “no fonts/text appearing” – the -no-dwrite in step 7)
- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Games/Native/UnrealTournament2004 (for the mega pack installation steps 13 through 16 and 19)
- https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1572-EOPC-1358 (for the CD key step 17)